Pools Final 21 February 2015

The scene was set. The trophies were laid out on the table, the competitors' chairs and tables were set and the big screen was showing a commanding overview of the table. All was set for what the excited audience had been waiting for.

A little after eight o'clock, Commodore Paul Bryan, MC for the evening, introduced the two teams; Dave Evans and Barrie Parks were taking on Ian Grey and Mark Anderson, under the watchful eye of referee Denis Peake.

Dave took the break and Ian followed with three yellows. Dave's next two visits removed two reds from the table, then Ian potted the last three yellows and the black. Frame one to Ian and Mark in fourteen minutes.

Frame two was a much more balanced affair, nobody potting more that two balls at a visit, leaving the black for Mark to win the frame in eighteen minutes.

In frame three, Barrie and Mark had a ball each and then Dave came up and banged in five yellows. Unfortunately, the sixth yellow landed in the audience! After some tentative play from everyone, Ian bagged five reds and the black, securing the trophy for himself and Mark.

The lights came on and we were all treated to grey peas and bacon, black pudding and cheese. The lucky few had seconds, but it was soon all gone. Bernard and Dee kept the drinks flowing during the interval, and with quiet efficiency, throughout the evening.


Just after nine fifteen the MC introduced the players; Martin Howes and Mark Anderson. The referee for the match was John Derrick.

Mark had the best of the first frame, having got his eye in through the doubles match. None the less, he managed four foul shots before potting the black after twenty minutes play.

Martin was more composed in the second frame, potting four reds in his second visit, but Mark had the better of him, potting black to take the frame (19 minutes)

Martin made frame three his own, seeing Mark off after a mere nine minutes.

The tension was apparent by frame four, a very thoughtful game from both players, like boxers sizing each other up. Martin delivered the knockout after just fifteen minutes, making it two frames each with everything depending in the final frame.

Martin made the break, but it was not until Mark's third visit to the table that he potted the first ball, a red. In the next three visits, Martin potted seven yellows, before a foul shot. Mark shot three reds, but left the black to Martin, making him the 2015 Singles champion.

This competition could not have taken place without a great deal of effort from a lot of people: the pool committee, catering, bar, room setting, video relay, referees, players who fell in the earlier rounds and the warm appreciation of the audience. Thanks to you all.

Paul Bryan.